What are the pros and cons of implant dentistry in the Knoxville area?
Missing teeth can occur for a variety of reasons. This can happen due to disease, extraction, severe decay, failed root canals, or trauma. When missing teeth occur, it is important for Knoxville area patients to speak to a dentist who provides implant dentistry to learn about the advantages of dental implants.
Dental implants are a great way for patients to replace missing teeth. They are titanium posts that are inserted during oral surgery to act as artificial tooth roots. They are then restored over the top with bridges, crowns, or even dentures to provide optimum stability. Many patients who are comparing dental implants to bridges and dentures may want to speak to Dr. Pablo Foncea of Sequoyah Dental Arts about the pros and cons of implant dentistry to determine if this replacement solution is right for them.
Below is a quick run-down of the pros and cons of placing dental implants:
- Dental implants are fused with the jawbone and never move
- Dental implants can last a lifetime
- Dental implants are highly successful, only failing in approximately 1 percent of cases
- Dental implants act as a natural tooth and do not require special care or attention
- Dental implants can hold dentures in place for optimum stability
- Dental implants can also be used to hold dental bridges
- Dental implants are the most expensive option when compared to bridges and dentures
- Dental implants are rarely covered by dental insurance
- Dental implants can hit nerves if not placed correctly by a qualified dental professional
- Dental implants require a healing time that can take weeks, even months, as the process of osseointegration occurs
If you are faced with tooth loss and want to work with the team at Sequoyah Dental Arts to discuss the possibilities of replacement, contact our practice and book a consultation appointment. We can schedule visits with patients who are ready to discuss the ways in which they can repair the cosmetics and function of their natural smiles.