Knoxville, TN area dentist describes the benefits of using dental implants to replace missing teeth
For patients in the area of Knoxville, TN who are seeking the next best thing to natural teeth, dental implants may be the solution. Dental implants are tooth replacement options that look, function, and feel just like natural teeth so patients can be confident in their own smile. Dental implants have many benefits that patients can consider when they visit with Dr. Pablo Foncea or Dr. Mariko McCall at Sequoyah Dental Arts. Our dentists can walk patients through the many advantages dental implants provide over alternative solutions such as bridges and dentures.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
There are several advantages to dental implants that our dentists speak to patients about when they are considering tooth replacement options:
- Natural appearance – because dental implants are made with restorations that match the teeth within the smile, they look completely natural and do not stand out in the smile as a dental repair
- Comfortable fit – dental implants are restorations surgically placed into the bone of the jaw to act as a tooth root replacement, while also stimulating the growth of bone through osseointegration; because the implant becomes one with the jaw, it fits perfectly within the smile and provides the proper stabilization for restorations to be placed on top
- Long-lasting – when patients take good care of their smile, they can extend the longevity of their dental implants; in most cases, patients are able to enjoy their dental implants for a lifetime
- Reliability – dental implants use the bone of the jaw as support, and when patients maintain their oral health and wellness, the implant serves an incredibly reliable tooth replacement
- High success rate – when patients undergo a thorough evaluation to determine if they are proper candidates for dental implants, the dentist is able to place the implant in a well-planned area and minimize the chances of the implant failing
- Restoration of chewing abilities – when teeth are missing, they can impact one’s ability to eat their favorite foods, but by placing a dental implant, patients will experience improved efficiency in chewing and enjoying food
- Preservation of the natural bone – dental implants are the only dental restorations for tooth loss that can help in maintaining the jaw bone and keeping the area healthy; this is due to the process of osseointegration that increases the bone around the implant and in the area where the tooth is missing
- Versatility – dental implants are used in many different ways to restore the smile: individual teeth can be replaced with an implant covered by a dental crown, while multiple teeth may be replaced using the implant as an anchor for a dental bridge or for stabilization of a full denture
- Biocompatibility – dental implants are fabricated from titanium, which is considered to be the most biocompatible metal
- Smart investment – because dental implants can last a lifetime, their upfront cost is easily offset by the many years patients will have their restorations in place
- Easy to care for – dental implants do not require any additional care or more attention than any of the other teeth within the smile, though patients should also brush and floss after every meal and visit their dentist every six months for a cleaning and evaluation
Are dental implants right for me?
A consultation appointment with a dentist is the first step in determining candidacy for dental implants. In order for the dental implant to heal properly, there must be sufficient healthy jaw bone in the implant area. Patients who do not have enough healthy bone may be candidates for bone grafting prior to implant surgery.
Patients who are not appropriate candidates may want to consider the advantages of other tooth replacement options, such as a dental bridge or a full or partial denture. While implants are the most expensive tooth replacement option, they are well-received by patients who want to make a wise investment in their smile and oral health that will last decades!
Interested in learning more about dental implants?
Patients in and around Knoxville, TN who are interested in having their missing teeth replaced with dental implants are welcome to book an appointment with Dr. Foncea or Dr. McCall at Sequoyah Dental Arts. We are located at 2719 Kingston Pike and can be reached by phone at 865 973-9899. We are always accepting new and existing patients who are seeking comprehensive dental care options!
Back to Dental Implants Page