Is teeth cleaning good for you? Yes, says Knoxville, TN dentist
Patients who ask, “Is teeth cleaning good for you?” are welcome to visit their dentist in Knoxville, TN to discuss the advantages of routine dental visits. Drs. Pablo Foncea and Mariko McCall believe in patients visiting regularly to have their teeth cleaned and examined by professionals to ensure there are no problems arising.
What is a teeth cleaning?
While patients brush and floss their teeth at home, they can still be at risk for developing periodontal disease or cavities. Therefore, it is important for teeth cleaning and examinations to be done regularly by the staff at Sequoyah Dental Arts. This is the time for the dentist to assess the smile’s health and wellness. Teeth cleanings can remove plaque and tartar, which can negatively impact the health of the smile.
What is done during a teeth cleaning?
During a teeth cleaning at Sequoyah Dental Arts, our hygienists will clean, polish, and floss the teeth thoroughly. This is done with specialized tools. The entire process can greatly improve not only the health of the smile, but also the appearance. After the teeth cleaning, the entire mouth is examined to look for:
- Areas of decay
- Signs of periodontal disease
- Possible signs of oral cancer
- Any need of treating misalignment or malocclusion
- Damage to the natural teeth or restorations caused by bruxism
- Healthy soft tissues
Why have the teeth cleaned by a professional?
Our dental hygienists provide thorough cleanings that can be much more effective than just brushing and flossing at home. Our staff can get in to those hard-to-reach places that may be difficult for patients to tackle on their own. Removal of plaque and tartar is done best with the proper instruments and experience.
How often should the teeth be cleaned professionally?
Most patients will benefit from a professional teeth cleaning at their recall visits every six months. However, some patients who are at a higher risk for problems such as periodontal disease, or are receiving treatments to improve their oral health after having gum disease may be encouraged to visit every three months for cleanings and evaluations. Patients with periodontal disease may also be completing antibiotic treatment at the same time to achieve a healthier smile, and these routine visits may be beneficial.
What other services are available?
At Sequoyah Dental Arts, we welcome patients to ask about professional teeth cleaning as well as other preventative dentistry services. This includes:
- X-rays – x-rays allow the dentist to check the health of the smile in the areas that cannot be seen. X-rays can be used to diagnose conditions of the teeth, bone, and soft tissues.
- Sealants and fluoride applications – sometimes, patients may benefit from an extra layer of protection on the teeth. We proudly provide sealants and fluoride applications to protect the natural tooth enamel and reduce the risk of cavities.
- Oral cancer screenings – when patients come in for their dental evaluations, our team will assess the soft tissues of the mouth and look for possible signs of oral cancer. Any areas of concern may be biopsied to check for cancerous cells and get a proper diagnosis.
- Fillings – if cavities are found in the teeth, it is important to have them addressed as early as possible. Fillings are used to keep the cavities from getting larger and protecting the inner portions of the teeth. The dental pulp, inside the tooth, can become infected if cavities become too large, and, at that point, would require treatment such as root canal therapy.
Preventative care is important for the smile, and our team welcomes patients ready to achieve optimal oral health and maintain it.
Schedule an appointment today with Drs. Pablo Foncea and Mariko McCall
We encourage you to learn more about the advantages of cleaning the teeth and gums at every recall appointment to ensure better oral health and wellness. We welcome patients to contact our practice by calling 865 973-9899 and visiting the office at 2719 Kingston Pike. The team of Sequoyah Dental Arts is here to assist patients with their oral health care needs, including preventative care solutions.
Share this Article
Back to Cosmetic Dentistry Page